SEO Strategy: A Guide to Developing a Website Breakthrough SEO Strategy 2021
90% of users search for information before making a purchase decision. Every year, more than 2 billion VND is generated on Google.
From the above figures, it can be seen that SEO strategy will be a powerful tool to create many quality leads and reach target customers.
This is a base of the gold Association for the business of production; the service comes to the user. In this article, I will guide you through an effective SEO strategy as well as the steps to implement it.
However, you also need to keep in mind that no matter how good an SEO strategy is, it will not go anywhere without SEO experts.
It is best that you select the company’s priority employees and have an SEO Manager training plan; these managers are a decisive condition for a successful project.
- 1 What is an SEO strategy?
- 2 Differentiation strategy – plan – SEO process
- 3 What does an effective Web SEO strategy include?
- 4 Steps to make a solid SEO strategy
- 5 Customer portrait
- 6 Step 2: Understand the current status of the website with SEO Audit
- 6.1 a) 5 aspects need to be audited
- 6.2 b) 6th aspect: Keyword ranking and search results
- 6.3 c) 5 essential tools to test your website
- 6.4 Step 3: Set goals & KPIs
- 6.5 Step 4: Finding opportunities by analyzing competitors
- 6.6 Step 5: List and evaluate the solutions
- 6.7 2) Offpage SEO Strategy
- 6.8 3) Strategies to increase the credibility of the website
- 6.9 4) Some other strategies
- 6.10 Step 6: Make a strategic implementation plan
- 6.11 Step 7: Collect and evaluate the results
- 7 Conclude
What is an SEO strategy?
An SEO strategy is a plan that combines many different SEO techniques designed to achieve a certain goal.
In SEO, headings can be:
- Traffic growth
- Boost keyword rankings
- Increase page loading speed…
With numerous techniques, tools, campaign marketing and Google updates like today, SEOer, especially novices, can’t help but be confused, where to start and which areas to focus on to return ROI results the best.
Therefore, before applying any SEO technique or trick, it is important that you also build a result web SEO strategy as well as a prescribed SEO standard to determine the path to go and get results.
Differentiation strategy – plan – SEO process
a) SEO strategy:
The strategy is to outline the steps from A to B.
A is Starting point (current state)
B is point want to go to (the standard item)
Example: An SEO strategy aimed at launching a new Dry Skin Cleanser.
Stage 1: Educational school, providing useful content by implementing setup guide content.
Goal: grow from 5,000 to 20,000 organic traffic within 5 months.
- Deploy 30 content articles about the topic skin
- Optimize Onpage for these 30 articles with Surfer SEO tool
- Implement backlinks in the form of Guest Posts, go to forum links for these articles
Stage 2: Optimizing SEO for Product landing pages, promoting to top keywords like “cleanser for dry skin”
The most effective website SEO strategy doesn’t need to specify how to get to B, instead of focusing on:
- Things to do
- Difficulties may be encountered
- Tools needed to get to B
The important core of a successful strategy is the totality of favourable conditions in place and the removal of obstacles that interfere with the achievement of the goal.
b) SEO plan:
If strategic SEO is the big picture, then the SEO plan will detail the optimal way to go from A to B.
For example, your strategy is money; the plan will be where to spend money when to allocate cash flow…
Or simply: If your SEO strategy is to deploy content and optimize Onpage to achieve your goal of increasing from 5,000 to 20,000 organic traffic, then your SEO plan will be:
- Deploy 30 content articles on the topic of Facebook marketing / Facebook Ads in the first 2 months
- On page optimization for 30 standard SEO articles in the next 1 month
- Backlink deployed for these articles in 1 month
The different understanding will help you distinguish between the methods – practical and easier in making strategic decisions.
c) SEO process
A process is a way of doing something, for example job A => job B => job C.
Click strongly on the method is the title. From there, it can be seen that the process is not a strategy but an important and indispensable part of the strategy.
Before learning about SEO regulations, you need to perfect yourself the most skilled SEO articles, ensuring that you will win 100% success for your plan!
What does an effective Web SEO strategy include?
An effective Web SEO strategy always comes from work:
- Understanding target customers and fields and markets
- Understand the current state of the site: Identify the problem, the formula with SEO Audit
- Set goals and KPIs to be achieved
- Search for opportunities by analyzing competitor SEO
- List and evaluate solutions
- Deploy strategy
What does an effective website SEO strategy include?
Digital marketing is a very broad concept that covers many niches of which SEO is one. It is therefore easy to confuse with industry links.
Smart SEO Strategy
Here are the jobs that fall under digital marketing in general, not SEO (these jobs are complementary to SEO only):
- Optimal conversion rate
- Social media strategy
- Advertising PPC
- Marketing automation
Steps to make a solid SEO strategy
In this section, I will guide you in detail on how to set up a solid SEO strategy.
Also, this is a useful course for you—the ultimate SEO core course for SEO Beginners.
Start learning about SEO strategy step by step!
Step 1: Understanding SEO client statue
Who do you want to visit your website?
Answering this question correctly, you can get quality traffic suitable for the file the customer is looking for.
You need to understand who the potential customer is, what the search intent is and what the context is.
Nowadays, SEO – search engine optimization should change to optimization based on user search intent. You need to determine what users are looking for at each stage of the buying journey and what information and channels will satisfy their needs.
What are users looking for? Channel:
Which channel should the content be placed on? (Website, Facebook, Youtube?)
Why are they looking for that information? Optimal:
How do users find that content? (via Google Search or referral from KOL?)
Content: What content will satisfy them? Develop:
What is the next step in the buying journey?
To get the best SEO implementation platform, you need to define the customer persona and journey.
Intent to buy => Consider => Purchase => Use => Ask => Interaction
Step 2: Understand the current status of the website with SEO Audit
SEO Audit is the process of checking website health to find out why the website has not grown, maybe even find opportunities to help the website grow beyond the competition.
In this process, you can use tools or ask a professional website SEO service to do it.
However, what needs to be checked?
a) 5 aspects need to be audited
There are 5 arrays you need to perform testing, including:
- Audit Content: Is the website content okay or not?
- Audit Technical: Is it easy for Google bot to scan the website? Are the pages indexed?
- Audit Onpage: Are the optimization techniques on the website standard SEO yet?
- Audit Offpage: Are the websites pointing to your site quality? Does your website get dirty backlinks from competitors?
- Audit Entity: Is the information about the business, website, products and services consistent and authentic?
b) 6th aspect: Keyword ranking and search results
It’s great if your website ranks #1 in a lot of keywords. But do these keywords really bring in your conversion rates and revenue?
This is the time to check if the SEO techniques you have implemented before are really effective or not.
You need to answer the following 3 questions:
- What keywords are your website ranking for?
- Are those keywords relevant to your customers and goals?
- Do you have any important pages that are not indexed?
You can use one of the tools above to determine the visibility of keywords on your website.
Another important thing is to know how many pages you are competing for.
Tips: To check how many pages are indexed by Google, enter the site: yoursite.com.
c) 5 essential tools to test your website
Basically, the tool can crawl the website, find technical problems and report back. Most tools will return results on a scale and give you a priority list of issues to fix.
Some of the tools to use in your website audit include:
Support tools to have a successful SEO strategy
1) Ahrefs: Use Ahrefs to check items:
- Check current top keywords/pages.
- Review backlink profile
- Audit competitor’s website
- RD index (referring domain): how many sites are pointing to your website?
2) Screaming Frog: You can use screaming frog to filter out errors on your website, including:
- Duplicate content (duplicate meta description, H1, H2, H3 tags or duplicate titles between pages)
- Thin content (thin content)
- Internal link error, broken link
- 301, 302 redirect issues, 404 errors, etc.
In addition, an effective website SEO strategy needs to ensure analysis tools such as Google Analytics are fully set up, declare the website to Google and use tag management.
Note that Google’s tool kit is very powerful but also provides an overview for everyone. For effective SEO, you need to install tools to narrow down the right audience and analyze the most critical metrics.
3) Google Analytics (GA): GA parameters to check
Take advantage of Google tools to check your website:
- Have you filtered your own traffic?
- Have you filtered your provider’s traffic?
- Have you filtered spam/bot traffic?
- Did you spend the self-referral?
- Did you spend spam-referral?
- Already segmented users?
- Set up goal conversion not yet?
- Does site search work?
- Already linked to a Google Ads account?
- Already linked to Google Search Console?
- Content groups work and right?
- Is the tracking code correct?
4) Google Search Console (GSC): Google Search Console parameters to check
- Have you set up HTTP and www or non-www versions?
- Submit sitemap yet?
- Submit robots.txt file yet?
- Verify your website yet?
- Are there any crawl errors?
- Are there any pages on your website that are blocked?
- Is there a security issue or malware?
- Is there a 404 error?
5) Google Tag Manager (GTM):
Does your website have GTM installed?
What tags have been made? Is it right?
What events are you following?
Does GA do it through GTM?
Step 3: Set goals & KPIs
In any business or marketing strategy, setting goals and KPIs is also a prerequisite, a guideline for you to go in the right direction. The same goes for SEO.
a) What is the goal of your website?
What is the goal you want to achieve for the website?
- For users to consult product information
- To collect emails and use remarketing later
- Or to increase the conversion rate?
Every website needs to have a clear purpose, must have a CTA and navigate the content from landing page => blog => source => conversion…
b) Conversion goal
The general purpose of any website is business-oriented. This process often involves multiple steps (corresponding to the customer journey) or micro-conversion.
- For the retail e-commerce industry, the transaction is the ultimate goal.
- For other websites like B2B, informational content, SAAS, etc., the goal is to direct users to the bottom of the funnel.
Some common conversions are:
- Top of funnel conversions: read content, download documents (infographic), subscribe to content (newsletter, podcast, video series)
- Middle of funnel conversions: Download resources (like whitepapers, ebooks, case studies, checklists…), quizzes and surveys, webinars, events, catalogs, tripwire offers.
- Conversion of the bottom of the funnel (Bottom of funnel): Product demo/trial, price/specs page, product detail page, number of contacts.
c) SEO KPI
SEO strategies often start with a common goal. Don’tbe fooled into setting goals like increasing organic traffic to 1000 views a month. You need time to establish a solid base.
This means that you need to install and declare Google Analytics and give the tool a period of time (minimum 3 months) to collect enough analytics data.
SEO goals should be:
- Increase rankings for keywords that are not related to the brand (For example: I should rank high for the keyword “EO service” “and not the keyword ” SEO service GTV company” because people who do not know GTV cannot can search for the second keyword)
- Increase keyword rankings around the topic (many sub-keywords) (Ex: HCM SEO service, reputable SEO service)
- Handling factors that prevent search engines from crawling and indexing websites
- Fix website errors (eg 404)
- Optimizing website performance
After your website is optimized, the statistics are reasonable, the content catches the right keywords, you can set more detailed SEO goals. Check out some of the specs below:
- Click-through rate (CTR)
- Time on site
- Bounce/exit rate (bounce rate)
- Organic impressions (number of organic impressions on Google)
- Organic conversions
- Referral traffic
SEO KPIs can also be adjusted according to the period of the year or depending on the event that the business organizes.
Step 4: Finding opportunities by analyzing competitors
In SEO, as long as you do more with better quality than the top 3 competitors, your website will definitely come to the top.
The secret: always follow every move of your competitors to adjust your SEO strategy so that it is effective.
Let’s analyze the website of potential competitors and are competing based on 4 aspects:
- Content: What is the competitor’s content marketing strategy, what topics/keywords have been implemented, what are the channels (blog, Facebook, youtube, …) deployed?
- Onpage: Are the optimization techniques on the website standard SEO yet?
- Offpage: What sites do your competitors’ back link profiles include? Can you get backlinks from these sites? Do they deploy PR announcements, buy backlinks or use guest posts to point links?
- Entity: Has the competitor authenticated their information on the Internet?
- You should also be aware of the case where a competitor optimizes the same keyword file but not your direct competitor. For example, if you sell nut milk, with the keyword nut milk, your competitors are not only similar stores but also nutrition and food sites.
Step 5: List and evaluate the solutions
Usually, by this point, I already know how successful my competitors are; I just need to focus on listing possible methods to achieve each initial SEO goal.
Next, evaluate the solutions based on the following factors:
Deployment time that solution (whether this technique takes a long time to implement or not)
Time to see the effect
Resources needed for implementation (resources, web SEO software, SEO expertise/experience of personnel can meet or not)
Implementation budget (is the budget included in the plan or exceeded)
Below I have a complete list of corresponding SEO strategies and tactics along with an estimated time to see results. You can check it out below!
1) X10 Traffic Strategy with Content and Onpage
Trick Time to see the effect
Audit content: Improve the content available on the website for 1 month
Optimizing SEO Onpage Standard 2020: 1 month
Topic Cluster: topic cluster content strategy: 1 month
Optimizing Internal links according to Link Wheel model 1 month
Expanded List Post: Expanded content under a new topic 3 months
Optimize Feature Snippet – top 0 Google 1 month
2) Offpage SEO Strategy
SEO Tricks Time to see the effect
Social media: content promotion: 1 week
Implement backlink (PR press, buy backlink, guest post): 2 months
Build a strong PBN system:3 months
Backlink 2nd floor: 3 months
3) Strategies to increase the credibility of the website
SEO Tricks Time to see the effect
Verify Entity with business information: 2 months
IFTTT Automation: 1 Month
Schema: information disclosure: 1 month
4) Some other strategies
- Reduce website bounce rate
- Increase time on page with 23 ways to write great content
Remove the algorithm penalty:
- Google Panda: Content Penalty
- Google Penguin: Backlink Penalty
Step 6: Make a strategic implementation plan
Once you know the strategies to implement, next you just need to plan the SEO for your website!
At this step, your SEO plan will include:
- SEO tips
- Details of work to be done
- Start time – Deadline complete
- Person in charge of the job
- Some notes if needed
I often use Gantt charts to easily review work, or if it is simpler, you can just use Excel to plan your deployment.
SEO implementation plan table
Step 7: Collect and evaluate the results
Periodically evaluating SEO strategy based on the results obtained will help you promptly change SEO tactics and strategies to achieve optimal results.
Based on the initial SEO KPIs, at this stage you can use the Google Analytics tool to re-measure the results of your implementation. LLet’screate a statistical table on Excel, Google Sheet so you can easily see how much traffic comes to your website from Organic Search.
Besides, you should also check the indicators:
- Number of pages indexed
- Leads obtained
- ROI – Return on Investment
- Keyword rankings grow
A sustainable SEO strategy not only helps the website implement SEO effectively but also saves time as well as necessary personnel and resources.
Whether you have been implementing SEO website for 1 year, 2 years or even just 3 months, setting up a sustainable SEO Web strategy will tell you the next direction to develop your website, thereby increasing the number of customers. leads, optimize conversion rates for businesses.
What SEO strategy did you apply? Please share with me!